Office Nurse, 15 Hours per Week
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION:
Responsible for providing patient assessment and care under the direction of a medical doctor or nurse practitioner. This position requires knowledge of HIPAA guidelines and maintaining patient privacy and confidentiality. Communicates plan of care to patients including treatments, lab results, medications, and scheduling of any referrals. Acts as a liaison between Trinity Free Clinic and the patient facilitating communication between providers, the clinic front desk, and the patient. Assist in telephone triage and scheduling patient appointments as necessary. Responsible for maintaining the organization of the medical clinic by tracking medical supplies, ordering supplies, restocking exam rooms and general organization.
- Handles telephone triage, including the scheduling of some appointments.
- Communicates plan of care to patients as directed by provider, including test results, scheduling of referral and education pertaining to medications.
- Acts as a patient advocate: Makes urgent referral appointments, follows up with and assists patients making non-urgent appointments. Calls patients needing close follow up and documents accordingly. Becomes familiar with community resources and directs patients towards those resources when appropriate. Assists medical ops director in making any specialty appointments.
- Calls prescriptions into pharmacy, as directed by provider with proper documentation.
- Escorts patient to the examination room, collecting, reporting, and documenting data, including, but not limited to, patient’s chief complaint, vital signs, weight, height, head circumference, LMP, smoking status current medications, oximetry level, accuchecks, and patient comfort level, and ensuring PHQ2 and PHQ9 are completed as appropriate.
- Collects specimens for diagnostic laboratory studies completing the necessary documentation as directed by the provider.
- Calls to obtain any necessary results such as labs, x-rays, and visit summaries when needed.
- Review of lab results with immediate communication to provider for alerted or critical lab values.
- Calls patients and communicates lab results and any follow up as directed by the provider.
- Assist as needed with filling prescriptions in the medication room, dispensing medications from the medication room, and documenting appropriately.
- Documents all information in the medical record in a legible style, dated and signed with credentials.
- Tracks medical supplies and orders supplies as needed.
- Keeps the working environment clean, safe and organized for patients, staff and volunteers. Set up and restock exam rooms maintaining order and cleanliness. Reports any malfunctioning equipment.
- Assists the provider in emergency situations and is prepared to respond to emergencies, including the use of AED, when no provider is on site.
- Completes training for administration of pediatric immunizations under standing orders.
- Assists with orientation and precepting of new volunteer staff as directed by the Volunteer Coordinator.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Director of Medical Operations, including cross-training in other functional areas, including but not limited to: Learning how to reach out and schedule volunteers.
- Attend all staff meetings and necessary Medical Operations Meetings.
- Assist the Director of Medical Operations in updating policies and procedures as necessary.
- Maintain a professional and positive attitude when interacting with patients, staff and volunteers.
- Valid Indiana Registered Nurse License.
- Current BLS Certification
- Preferably Fluent in Spanish
- Flexible schedule